Friday 4 January 2019

Week 2, Day 1, Activity 1,2,3

DAY 1: Swimming with the Fish

Activity 1: Surfs Up! [4 points]
In New Zealand we have many beautiful beaches and stunning waterfalls. One of the most spectacular waterfalls is called Kitekite and it is located in Piha, a small village west of Auckland. Tourists and locals flock to Piha during the summer season to enjoy the waterfall, the local beach, and the great surf. Have you ever tried surfing? Although I have never surfed many of my friends have and they absolutely love it. In fact, it is their favourite summer activity! What is yours?
For this activity, please take a picture of yourself doing one of your favourite summer activities. It could be anything!
On your blog, post a picture of yourself doing one of your favourite summer activities. Below the picture tell us what the activity is and tell us why it is one of your favourites.
My favourite summer activity is camping, here is the photo of our campsite. Fun Fact: We went camping last week, in Karamea. Here is the photos:


Activity 2: The Great Taupo Cycle Challenge [4 points]

Every year approximately 7500 people arrive in Taupo, New Zealand to compete in a one-day cycling race around Lake Taupo. The race route is 160 km in length. Participants can choose to compete in the full race or the half-race (80 km). Let’s imagine that you were given a free ticket to compete in the Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge next year and you were able to bring three people with you as your ‘support crew.’ Who would you bring with you?
If it was me, I would choose my son, Aronui, as one of my supporters because he’s really funny and energetic. I think that he would make sure that I had a great time and that I spent the entire day laughing and smiling. I would also choose my sister, Leigh, because she is very strong and fast. Thirdly, I would choose my co-leader, Hazel, because she is very organised and would make sure that we followed the trail and didn’t get lost!
On your blog, list the three people you would like to have on your Lake Taupo Cycle Race Support Crew. Tell us why you have chosen each person.
If I was going to do this race, I would choose my friend Zoe, because shes funny and we would just laugh the whole time. I would then choose my Mum, because she has done lots of things like this before and would be really good at supporting me. Lastly I would choose my mums friend Katrina, because she has done the coast to Coast before and is really experienced, she would make sure we don't get lost.

Activity 3: Something Smells Fishy…[10 points]

One of the longest and largest rivers in the world is called the Amazon River. It is located in South America and is approximately 6400 kilometres (kms) long. That is four times longer than the entire country of New Zealand. Wow!
Scientists believe that there are over 3000 different kinds of fish that live in the Amazon River. Now, that is a lot of fish! To learn more about fish, we went online and found some really cool facts about fish.
For this activity, we are going to provide you with five sentences about fish. Some of them are true and some are them are not. It is your job to read these ‘facts’, and decide whether they are true or false.


On your blog, write out each fact and in CAPITAL LETTERS beside the fact, write the word ‘TRUE’ if it is a true fact or ‘FALSE’ if it is not true.
True or False?


Fish Fact #1:The oldest known fish in the world is a 65 year old Australian lungfish. F
Fish Fact #2:Sharks are the only fish that have eyelids. T
Fish Fact #3: Starfish are a type of fish. F
Fish Fact #4: Fish communicate with each other by making low-pitched sounds (moans, hisses, etc) F
Fish Fact #5: Fish usually swim together in groups called ‘classes.’ F

2 comments:

  1. Hi Caitlyn

    What a wonderful place to go camping. I think Karamea is one of the best spots on the coast. It is quite spectacular. I hope that the weather was good for you? It is a great place to camp if the weather is warm.
    Is that you buried in the sand? How long did it take to dig the whole and bury you? And who did this to you? Haha very funny!
    The sunset looks gorgeous, we get some stunning ones here. We are very lucky and sometimes I know I take it for granted that it is so lovely.

    It sounds like you have chosen three really great people to be your support crew. It is always good to have someone who is fun and will keep you laughing and smiling at yourself and everything around you. I think experience is something that you would find very handy. It is good to know the secrets of the trade and a few short cuts, just to make things a little bit easier. And you just can't do without the support of your Mum.

    It is interesting to learn different things about fish and what is real and not real. I had no idea about the starfish. I hadn't really thought about it and just presumed that they would be a type of fish. I really like to go out to Punakaiki and walk around the rock at Truman's track on low tide and you can see all of the cool starfish there. It is an awesome thing to do if you haven't done it before.

    I hope your holidays are going well and that you are enjoying the awesome weather we are having. Today is so hot and the cicadas are going crazy today.

    Until next time

    Allie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caitlyn!
    Activity 1:
    What great photos of you in the sand. I haven't been to Karamea before by the sounds of this it sounds cool to visit.

    Activity 2:
    These are great people to choose to go on your support team. Its always good to do something new with someone who is experienced and knows this type of things to do. Some one supportive helps alot especially if your doughting youself they will always be there. Finally someone who is funny make the whole thing much better.

    Activity 3:
    These are great facts on fish. Did you know that some types of sharks have eyelids but can't use them, whats the point?

    Keep up the awesome work Caitlyn!
    -Jennae

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.