Saturday 5 January 2019

Week 2, Day 4, Activity 1,2,3

DAY 4: Spectacular, Spectacular


Activity 1: Planes, Trains and Automobiles [4 points]
Arguably, one of the most dramatic and spectacular (beautiful) places to visit in New Zealand is Milford Sound. It has been referred to as the ‘eighth wonder of the world.’ It is a beautiful fiord (steep valley) that was formed when big pieces of ice (glaciers) melted. The melted glaciers created a beautiful river that is surrounded by dramatic cliffs and snow-capped mountains. People who visit Milford Sound are able to take a boat cruise through the middle of the fiord, walk around the area on the Milford Track or fly above the fiord as part of a private helicopter tour.
Let’s imagine that you had the chance to visit Milford Sound by boat, foot (walking) or air (helicopter). Which option would you prefer?
On your blog tell us which of the three options you would take to explore Milford Sound. Be sure to tell us why you have chosen this option.
I would prefer to walk, because I love tramping. Its slow, so you get to see more and you can take as long as you want. I love to walk for a long time and chat as I go, stopping at places that are so beautiful.

Activity 2: It’s All in the Name [4 points]
Rotorua is one of New Zealand’s most popular tourist destinations. It is a city filled with incredible forests, mountain biking tracks, lakes, and geothermal wonders, including hot springs (geysers) and mud pools. One of the most famous geothermal pools is called the Devil’s Bath at Wai-o-Tapu Thermal Wonderland. It is a neon green pool of stinky water.
Over the years, people have suggested that we come up with a new name for the pool. What do you think we should call it? Take a minute to let your creative juices flow.
On your blog, give us a list of three to five options for the name of this geothermal pool. Put a star (*) beside the name that you like the most.
Green Slushie
Green Goop
Lime Obleck
Lime Thickshake *
Shrek



Activity 3: Picture Perfect [10 points]
While New Zealand is home to some beautiful waterfalls, there are a number of stunning waterfalls in places like Canada and South Africa. In Canada, the largest waterfall is called Niagara Falls. It sits on the border between Canada and the United States of America. Thousands of tourists flock (go) to Niagara Falls every year to see the falls and to have their picture taken in front of this natural wonder. Over the past few years people have started taking ‘selfies’ and posting them online. Do you ever take selfies?
For this activity, choose one of the following three selfies. From left to right: Selfie #1, Selfie #2, Selfie #3






On your blog, write a short story about what you think is happening in the picture. Be sure to tell us where you think the people are and what you think they were doing at the time that they stopped to pose for the selfie. To earn full points, the story must be 8 – 10 sentences long.

I walk up to the each of the building admiring the beautiful view I am seeing in front of my eyes. I realise I haven't posted on instagram for a while. So I pull out my phone. I open then app and go into camera. I lift one leg up onto the edge and then the other. I shake as I stand, but so catch my balance. I move my phone around, looking for the right angle. "Smile." someone yells. My two dimples start to show and I click the button. "Perfect," I say. I jump down off the ledge and click upload. I admire the view one more time, before I walk away. "Goodbye," I yell.

2 comments:

  1. Hi There Caitlyn!

    I can always count on a great post from you!


    Activity 1
    That's a good choice! I love going for hikes and being outdoors! I love going for hikes and being outdoors! I always feel amazing and refreshed after a hike! It is always lovely going with a friend or family. These kinds of experiences build lifelong bonds! Personally I would choose a helicopter! I have been on a plane before but never a helicopter! It is something that I would really love to do! Hopefully I can save up and one day experience a cinematic helicopter ride this year.

    Activity 2
    These are an amazingly funny list of names! I don’t think anyone would want to visit a pool called Green Goop! Goop sounds a lot like other gross word! Haha. I would visit a pool called Green slushie or Lime Thickshake! Have you ever been to Rotorua? I got to go last year! It is a super stinky city at first... but you get used to it! It's super fun especially if you get to go luging or on the zipline.

    Activity 3

    Ka Pai! This is a thrilling story to go with that picture! I truly hope she didn’t fall! Selfies are a great cheeky way to capture a moment of great beauty. I liked the sentence” I realise I haven't posted on Instagram for a while.” I can relate to that because sometimes I forget to post on Instagram for months! I love taking photos especially of all the beautiful scenery in New Zealand. So far Queenstown is my favourite so far!

    Keep up the creativity and hard work
    He Whetu Koe! (You’re a star!)
    Hasiba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Caitlyn!
    Activity 1:
    Traveling to the Milford Sounds by walking would be awesome. I love exercise like walking as well and I like enjoying views and new sights. Have you ever visited the Milford Sounds?

    Activity 2:
    These are such good and creative names for your green pool of goo! The lime thickshake was a great one for you to come up with and it does look like the colour and the shrek is a creative one as well. If you had to guess where this was where would you think it was?

    Activity 3:
    This is a great story summarizing what she was doing. What do you think she was doing before she thought of to take that photo? If I tried to take that photo I would be to clumsy because thats me and fall off the edge.

    Ka pai Caitlyn on the awesome work!
    -Jennae;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.