Wednesday 16 January 2019

Week 3, Day 3, Activity 1,2,3

DAY 3: Taking Flight

Activity 1: Bird of the Year! [4 points]
Aotearoa New Zealand is home to many different kinds (species) of native birds.  Sadly, about a third of our native bird species are at risk of disappearing forever (becoming extinct).
Each year, Forest and Bird New Zealand hold a ‘Bird of the Year’ competition where people can vote for their favourite native bird. This year, the winner was the kererū (or woodpigeon).
Go onto the Bird of the Year website, look through the native birds on the site, and choose one that interests you.
On your blog, write a short description of your bird. Where does your bird normally live? What does your bird normally eat?  Post a picture of the bird underneath your description. Be sure to attribute your picture properly.

Tui's are the most beautiful and interesting birds. They are covered in beautiful brown, blue and grey feathers over there body. Tui's make the most musical sounds and sing the best songs, you normally hear them before you see them! They are known and recognised from their white tuft underneath their throat.

Tui's are found throughout the three main islands of New Zealand. They are scarce only in drier, largely open, country east of the Southern Alps. They live in native forests, bush reserves, and bush remnants.

Tui's mainly feed on the nectar from flowers of native plants, such as kōwhai, puriri, rewarewa, kahikatea, pohutukawa, rātā and flax. They will sometimes eat insects too. They are important pollinators of many native trees and will fly large distances, especially during winter for their favourite foods.

Image result for tui

Activity 2: Flying Foxes [4 points]
vNot only is New Zealand home to many native birds but we also have a number of native bats. Some of these bats are really small while others are much larger. None, however, are as large as the largest bat in Australia. It is called the flying fox (pictured below) and it has a wingspan of up to 6 feet or 2 metres. Wow! That is taller than most of us!
Flying foxes usually sleep during the day and hunt for food at night, using their ears to guide them through the darkness. Like other bats, they have the best hearing of any mammal. It is their ‘superpower.’
If you could have a superpower, what would it be? If I could choose, I would like to be able to fly. It would make it possible for me to fly back to Canada and visit my family whenever I wanted. How amazing would that be?!
On your blog, tell us what superpower you would like to have and why you’d like to have it.
If I could have a superpower, I would like to be able to fly. It would be cool to fly through the air passing the cars. It would be easy to visit places, no traffic except fellow birds. Flapping as the air catches them. This is what my superpower would be.

Activity 3: Wind Beneath My Wings [10 points]
Birds and bats are just two species of animal that are able to fly. Did you know that some fish, squirrels and snakes are also able to fly? Check out the ‘Top 10 Flying Animals of the World’ website to learn more about these incredible animals.
Once you have explored the site, choose one animal and create a digital learning object (DLO, eg. a poster) that tells us all about the animal. Be sure to include at least three interesting facts and a picture or two of your animal! Please follow these instructions for attributing your pictures properly.
Here is an example of a DLO that was created about lions.
On your blog, post a final copy of your DLO..


3 comments:

  1. Hello Caitlyn,
    That is sure a whopping lot of information packed into 1 post, well done! Tui's are my second favourite, Kiwi being my first, because of their small white tuft, that looks so cute. The eagle is a very nice animal to inform because some people are nervous they are going to hurt them. A wingspan of 2 meters is taller than me! WOW! I like the bat the best because it is so unique.

    What is your favourite animal?

    Happy Blogging
    Gargee HPS
    hpsgargeej.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  2. KIa Ora Caitlyn!

    Thank you for sharing lovely information about the Tui! You’re right, they are one of the most beautiful birds. Like you, I love the musical sounds they make, Tuis are wonderful singers! I saw a few tui birds at the Auckland Zoo last year!
    Have you seen a tui in real life before?

    This year, flying has been super popular! It sounds like a lot of summer learning journey students would love to fly! It makes sense New Zealand is a beautiful country with many hidden gems all over the world.
    Personally, I think I would love to be able shape shift. That way I can turn into anything or anyone I want! That would be so much fun!

    I have always been quite scared of eagles! They are massive.
    I really like fact 2! I didn’t know Eagles are monogamous! To me, Monogamous is just another word for soul mates! That is super cute too,
    Thanks for sharing!


    Keep up the great work!
    He Whetu Koe! (You’re a star!)
    Hasiba

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Caitlyn!
    Activity 1:
    Well done on another days worth of activities! I like Tui's, I think they are such unique and cool birds! This is a great description of your bird you chosen. I noticed with the photo you didn't attribute the photo so make sure you say who took it and where you found it or if it was a free to use image on google images for the Tui bird.

    Activity 2:
    Wouldn't it be cool to have a superpower? I would agree with you flying would be such an amzing superpower and yes seeing everything from above would be amazing. If I had a superpower I would choose to control water.

    Activity 3:
    These are some great facts on eagles Caitlyn! It was cool to find out that eagles are monogamous! I never knew eagles used the same nest each year to breed.

    Keep up the great work!
    -Jennae

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.